We all agree that Washington is broken. It is one of the few things that people on both sides can agree. Washington has gotten so big and filled with far too many unelected people drunk on power who want to control the American people. Donald Trump was correct when he called D.C. The Swamp and why insiders were petrified that he was hell-bent on draining The Swamp. Rather than dwell on how D.C. is damaged, I want to focus on the more positive solution to the problem. The brilliant forefathers of our country gave the people the tool, and that is what we will look at today. That tool is Article V of the Constitution.
Article V details the methods by which to amend the Constitution. The writers of this incredible document foresaw the possibility of the government getting too powerful and the need of the people to reel it back in. So, in addition to the ability of Congress to propose Amendments, Article V gives the people the power to bypass the government and amend the Constitution. That process is the purpose of the Convention of States. I am proud to join them in their battle to bring our government back to the people.
The people, and their states, gave birth to the Federal Government with the Constitution making the government the child to the parent, the people. Over time, this situation has turned upside down where the child has taken control of the parents. We parents need to make this petulant child understand its place, and we can do that with Article V. This is how it works.
- Citizens ask the state legislators to sponsor the Convention of States Resolution, which details the proposed amendments.
- A state legislator sponsors the COS and files in their state legislature.
- When 34 states pass the COS Resolution, Congress must call for a Convention of States. States will elect delegates to attend the convention, but each state will only have one vote.
- Delegates will debate and vote on the proposed amendments, and those passed by a majority of the state delegates are returned to the states for ratification.
- Proposed amendments become valid when ratified by 38 states, and they then become amendments to the Constitution.
This process sounds easy. It is not, nor should it be By design, the process was meant to be meticulous and required the majority of the states, the people, to agree. The COS is halfway to achieving the 34 states to call for the convention, and it has taken nine years to get to this place. But, momentum is building as eight states have passed the resolution in one chamber, and twenty states have the resolution on their agenda for debate in 2022.
How can you help? The easiest thing for you to do is to sign the COS petition. The power of this project is in the number of people who support it, for that is what makes politicians react. When state legislators see the number of people, the voters, in their states, demanding change and have the power to enact that change, they will know they have no choice but to support us or be known as the one who stood in the way of the people.
Click this link to https://conventionofstates.com/ to learn more or contact me directly. Join the fight to bring the government home to the people. I look forward to hearing from you.