Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) warned fellow Democrats at a private dinner that they’ll likely lose the House majority and that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.) is “in trouble,” Punchbowl News reported.
Schumer on Monday night told a gathering of Democratic senators that if elections were held today there was “a 60 percent chance we hold the Senate, and a 40 percent chance we hold the House.” Sources told Punchbowl News that patrons overheard Schumer loudly make the comments at a dinner at Trattoria Alberto, a restaurant near Capitol Hill. Other Democratic senators at the dinner included Chris Coons (Del.), Mark Kelly (Ariz.), Chris Van Hollen (Md.), Tom Carper (Del.), John Hickenlooper (Colo.), and Dick Durbin (Ill.).
Schumer also said Sen. Joe Manchin’s (D., W.Va.) claim that taxes on the rich are akin to “inflation” was “ridiculous.”
This week’s Labor Department report showing persistent inflation, which caused the stock market to plummet, struck a hard blow to Democrats’ hopes for an improved economy, which remains the top issue for American voters.
Schumer has given $15 million from his campaign coffers to Democratic Senate campaigns, and his Senate Majority PAC put $3.2 million into the New Hampshire Republican primary in hopes of taking down the moderate Republican in the race, Chuck Morse.
The post Schumer Tells Dems They’ll Probably Lose House Majority appeared first on Washington Free Beacon.